Get the Facts!Adopting a smoke-free policy is a win-win situation for you and your residents.
- Smoke-free housing policies save property owners and managers money. Unit turnover costs can be as much as 5 to 10 times lower for units where smoking is prohibited compared to a unit where smoking is allowed.
- Maine surveys have found that the vast majority, nearly 80%, of multi-unit housing residents would prefer to live in a smoke-free environment.
- Smoking is a leading cause of home fire death in Maine.
- Secondhand smoke travels through air ducts and ventilation systems. ASHRAE has said that “the only means of effectively eliminating the health risk associated with indoor exposure is to ban smoking activity.”
- Smoke-free housing has become the norm, rather than the exception in Maine. Surveys have found that 65% of private landlords in Maine have at least one smoke-free building.