A tiered policy system has been developed of school model policy criteria to support Maine schools with the opportunity to make adjustments to their tobacco-free policies in stages if there is not capacity to move directly to the highest level. The Good, Better, and Best tiered policies include best practice strategies around addressing tobacco use, exposure, enforcement, education and advertising restrictions in the K-12 school setting. A policy component checklist provides information on the strategies for each level.
Resources to support policy implementation:
- Tobacco-Free K-12 School Policy Toolkit Download PDF
- Sample Tobacco-Free Area Signage Download PDF
- Sample Tobacco-Free School – Good Level Policy Download PDF (Editable Word Document)
- Sample Tobacco-Free School – Better Level Policy Download PDF (Editable Word Document)
- Sample Tobacco-Free School – Best Level Policy Download PDF (Editable Word Document)
- Breathe Easy Policy Enforcement and Implementation Recommendations
The sample tobacco-free school policies and K-12 School Policy Toolkit include language to address the 2019 passage of Maine LD 152, including updated expectations regarding Tobacco Possession on School Grounds and added resources for addressing use of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) and vaping.