A tiered policy system has been developed of school model policy criteria to support Maine schools with the opportunity to make adjustments to their tobacco-free policies in stages if there is not capacity to move directly to the highest level. The Good, Better, and Best tiered policies include best practice strategies around addressing tobacco use, exposure, enforcement, education and advertising restrictions in the K-12 school setting. A policy component checklist (include digital file) provides information on the strategies for each level.
Resources to support policy implementation:
- Tobacco-Free K-12 School Policy Toolkit View and Download PDF
- Sample Tobacco-Free Area Signage View and Download PDF
- Sample Tobacco-Free School – Good Level Policy View and Download PDF
- Sample Tobacco-Free School – Better Level Policy View and Download PDF
- Sample Tobacco-Free School – Best Level Policy View and Download PDF
The sample tobacco-free school policies and K-12 School Policy Toolkit will be updated in Summer 2019 to address the passage of Maine LD 152, updated expectations regarding Tobacco Possession on School Grounds and added resources for addressing use of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) and vaping.