A model tobacco-free policy for hospital and healthcare organizations includes prohibiting the smoking of, or use of, any tobacco products including but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, snuff, chewing tobacco, snus, electronic nicotine delivery systems, such as e-cigarettes, anywhere on the campus. This includes all organization-affiliated buildings, on all facility grounds, in all organization-owned or –leased vehicles, personal vehicles used in the course of work and at all sponsored events. Best practice polices should also include protections for staff, patients and visitors from thirdhand smoke.
Resources to support policy implementation:
- Sample Tobacco-Free Hospital Policy Download editable Word version
- Sample Tobacco-Free Hospital Signage Download PDF
- Sample Tobacco-Free Healthcare Policy Download PDF (editable Word version)
- Tobacco-Free Healthcare Policy Checklist Download PDF
- Breathe Easy Policy Enforcement and Implementation Recommendations