Get the Facts!100% smoke and tobacco-free policies protect everyone from the dangers of environmental tobacco smoke and promotes healthy social norms around tobacco use.
The vast majority of Maine residents believe that people should be protected from secondhand smoke exposure. Creating a smoke-free policy is a positive way to demonstrate your commitment to the health of those in your community.
Implementing a smoke and tobacco-free policy is an evidence-based strategy shown to be effective in:
- Reducing exposure to secondhand smoke
- Reducing the prevalence of tobacco use
- Increasing the number of tobacco users who quit
- Reducing initiation of tobacco use among young people
- Reducing tobacco-related morbidity and mortality, including acute cardiovascular events